My Bodhisattva Vows: 1 Year Later

Super happy me to receive my Buddhist name
Super happy to receive my Buddhist name from teacher 

It's been an entire year since I took my Bodhisattva vows. When I think back to that day, I feel immense joy, love, warmth, and connection. It was probably one of the happiest days of my life. I could feel the calling to these vows in my bones. Like my north star, so clearly shining upon my path forward. My most trusted people, part of my primary soul care team and personal sangha, were there to witness this commitment. Since this momentous occasion, the way of the Bodhisattva has taken root in my body. My practice is not about getting it perfect or following each vow to the T. The value is in my effort, how I get up from my falls, stay connected to myself, and relax back into the present flow of life, no matter how turbulent the path is. Like my teacher said, being a Bodhisattva is a total hot mess. And oy, has this year been a total hot mess. 

Most of the time, after my meditation sessions, I read these vows out loud. Sometimes softly, sometimes loudly with power. Each time I read them, my mind and heart find meaning in different parts. I'm grateful for the sense of ease that this ritual brings, especially during these difficult times in the world.    

However innumerable beings are, I vow to meet them with kindness and interest.

However inexhaustible the states of suffering are, I vow to touch them with patience and love.

However immeasurable the Dharmas are, I vow to explore them deeply.

However incomparable the mystery of interbeing, I vow to surrender to it freely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Dana

The Fear Series: I am too much to be loved

You failed at your marriage