You failed at your marriage

My mom said to me, you failed at your marriage. 

It was unexpected. My mind didn't really register her words but my body started to react. I noticed some physical sensation but instead of pausing to let my mind catch up, I quickly moved into an intellectual response.

I explained to my mom, Ma, it's not really about success or failure. A lot of people stay in unhappy marriages and treat each other poorly. If you're seeing it from that lens, you wouldn't call that a successful marriage, would you? I didn't fail though. I loved and I learned. This is just life. 

Somehow, I thought reframing would help. But it didn't. She said some things in return, but I was in such shock by her words that I don't recall the rest of the conversation. We hung up. She had no idea the impact of her words. I didn't either. I had to rush out of my place to catch Bart to the city. I started texting one of my best friends sharing what my mom said. My friend was in disbelief and asked why my mom would say what she did. I had no idea. I never really know why. But my friend's compassion and empathy quickly unraveled the deep hurt and pain of that moment. I started to cry, continuous streams of tears rolling down my face as I sat amongst strangers on Bart. I didn't try to hide them. So many thoughts ran through my mind as I touched my heart with my hand and held it there until the tears stopped.

You failed at your marriage. 

She said it like it was the ultimate truth. Like there was no other possibility. Like there was no space for something in between. She said it with such deep conviction and clarity. Like she knew something I didn't.

When my mom says something like that in the way that she does, what internal will is needed for me to believe otherwise? What ocean of compassion is needed for me to understand her words are about her own humanity, having nothing to do with me? What mental discipline is needed for me to recall my own truth in all of this? That I am not a failure. That I gave my marriage everything I had.

I call these moments Mom Daggers. 

I have lived my whole life with these daggers. But this is the first time I feel awake to it. I feel the dagger alive in my body. Ice cold, sharp, heavy, big, a stinging pain.

I see my mind searching for answers, trying to make sense of my mom.

What unresolved wounds are you projecting on to me, Ma? 
What life failures have you internalized, Ma? 
What loving tenderness was missing for you growing up, Ma? 
What is behind your feelings of inadequacy and unworthiness, Ma? 

I want so badly to understand my mom's humanity. I want so badly to see her more clearly. I want so badly for her to know how much her words hurt me.

I want so badly to tell her,

Ma, your pain is real and deserves healing. 
Ma, you are not a failure. 
Ma, you are soft and tender at the core of your being. 
Ma, you are enough and worthy of loving. 

But I have to accept the possibility that I may never fully understand her. That even if I get to tell her these things, because of the deeply buried traumas in her life, she may never receive them. She may never believe them.

And this is where my greatest pain lies. And where my own healing begins.


Comments

  1. I started crying reading this. I'm so sorry Danielle. I've been reading your posts and most of the ones about your mom, it's like the exact same thing my mom says. I really wish they could find some self compassion and love for themselves, but alas, I don't think they're ever shown it and now when they experience it, even from us, it seems like a weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stop thanking Lord Zakuza for helping me bring back my girlfriend that left me for another man at her workplace.. I was shocked when she broke up with me and I needed help but everything I did to recover her back did not work. If not for the intervention of Lord Zakuza who I met online, I wouldn't have gotten back my girlfriend because Lord Zakuza prepared a love spell that brought her back to me within 48 hours. I love my girlfriend and I'm happy getting her back again. Thank you Lord Zakuza and I promise to share my experience with you to everybody so that anyone that needs help in any way can also get help too for you are a good and wonderful man that God has sent to help those who need help.. Here's his contact information just in case you need any help from him. WhatsApp/call number +1 (740) 573-9483 or Email: Lordzakuza7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Queen Zazi for the love and help you show me and my family. You are a Mother indeed and i am forever grateful to you. This Testimony is one of the Promises i made to you and i hope you get to see it.

    My wife is my Life. I love her with everything that i have. I gave her everything that i could give and showed her how much i truly care about her. she was also very good to me and our kids. in fact i will describe our marriage as a perfect marriage but everything changed in October 2021. she became uncaring to me and our son. i asked her severally what was wrong but she said nothing. Cut the long story short, she finally left me and our son January 2022. i almost went crazy, our son lost himself. fast forward to last week, I opened up to a colleague in my office about my problem and he told me about Queen Zazi, that she has helped his friend and save his marriage in the past. Queen Zazi told me the cause of the problem and was able to get a solution within few days. Guys my wife is back home with me and our family is reunited. I and my wife are forever grateful to you Mother Zazi. Here is her email: queenzazi1000@gmail.com
    Please guys help share this till it gets to Queen Zazi and you might also be helping a friend out there just as my colleague did for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Camila i am from Venezuela. My husband was a chronic cheat. He always want to hurt me with other women, including women that are less beautiful than i am. Mind you, he was never like this. He used to be a sweet, loving and caring husband but all of a sudden he changed and i couldn't find any reason why he changed. The disrespect was so much that i almost gave up on my marriage. But i found a solution when i saw different testimonies in a Forum about a man called Dr Okosu. People testified of different good works he has done for them. I decided to give him a trial, i contacted him and he was able to help me. He told me my husband was under a strong force. He was able to break the force and set my husband free. My husband is back to the Loving and caring man he has always been. He now support me in everyway and we now go on vacations. I am so happy. Thank you Sir. Just as i promised, this testimony i will continue to share for the world to know the good thing you have done. His email is drokosu01@gmail.com and whatsapp is +2348119663571

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was really sad and hurt when my husband of 13 years in marriage decided to leave me for a girl way younger than me. My husband is rich and well to do so he got a lot of ladies eyes on him. He is a loving and caring man though but this particular young lady got a hold on him in a special way i could not explain. At some point i thought of taking her life because my husband was really into her but a friend discouraged me from that act. I had to go in search of spiritual help from the internet then i saw Queen Zazi who many people gave different testimonies of he good works and marriage restoration. I took her email queenzazi1000@gmail.com from one of the testimonies and contacted her. i told her my problems and she gave me instructions to follow. within 7 days My husband cut every means of communication with that evil lady and plead for my forgiveness. I say a big thank you to Queen Zazi, I hope you get to see this testimony because i promised to share a testimony if you help me. you can also contact her on whatsApp: +2349125496538

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Dana

The Fear Series: I am too much to be loved