My Bodhisattva Vows

25 Aspiring Bodhisattvas with Badass Living Bodhisattva & Teacher Mushim Ikeda

I recently completed a class at East Bay Meditation Center (EBMC) called the Path of the Bodhisattva with my badass teacher, Mushim. What is a Bodhisattva? Essentially an everyday person on an imperfect journey to relieve the suffering of others, including their own, through using compassion and wisdom. 

My parents have been talking Bodhisattva talk to me my whole life. When I was little, I was like, "Bodhi what?!" It honestly sounded like they were cursing at me. My mom was always talking to me about one Bodhisattva in particular. Quan The Am (or Quan Yin).  Let's call her QTA. QTA is the iconic female Bodhisattva who you see hanging in a standing statue form pretty much in every hippie crystal shop across America. She comes in jade, rose quartz, bronze, gold, you name it!  


My mom would always tell (or abrasively coerce) me to pray to QTA. ("Cầu nguyện to mẹ đi con!!!")


Despite those gentle nudges from mom, I actually grew up feeling pretty drawn to QTA. Not sure why, but I always felt QTA in my body, feeling at peace and calm in her presence. It turns out, QTA is pretty big on compassion. She's big on all matters of the heart. She's skillful at using her heart to spread love to others unconditionally. She wears an inviting smile that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  My kind of Bodhisattva! 

All the Bodhi talk finally made its way to my heart when painful life events unfolded and led me to EBMC where I have found deep refuge. Mushim suggested the class to me at the right moment so I signed up immediately. The class provided a broad overview of the precepts and vows one takes to aspire on the path of becoming a Bodhisattva. We heard poetry, looked at art, watched cool movie clips, shared our personal experiences, listened to Dharma, and recited vows in sign language. The class culminated in a daylong retreat in Sangha and a beautiful vows ceremony where 25 of us were gifted Bodhisattva Buddhist names, surrounded by our community of beloveds. These names were selected by spiritual intuition for us to grow into as we develop our practice. 

Mushim gave me the name "Insight Arising Heartmind". It's an aspirational name of enlightenment. A very very tall order that I am so excited to work towards fulfilling.  


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Dana

The Fear Series: I am too much to be loved

You failed at your marriage