Mystery of the Dark Moon


During my heart practice this morning, something our teacher offered stuck with me. 

She said, "Learn how to cultivate trust in the mystery of the unknown." 

I've been reading a book about the mystery of the dark moon and her healing powers. Over the past year, I've spent a lot of time staring at la luna. I've become so curious about her energetic dance with darkness. The book has brought clarity to my own experience with darkness and its healing ways. Late last year, I had noticed a significant shift in my relationship with physical darkness. It was unbelievable to experience this change, which seemed to happen so organically, given how terrified of the dark I've been most of my life. I can't help but speculate that my increased comfort with darkness is connected to my deepening trust with the mystery of life. 

In a week, my spiritual being turns 34. And literally, in a week, my life could look completely different from how it does today, or maybe it'll look exactly the same. The reality is, I do not know. Not so long ago, this uncertainty would have sent me spiraling, panicked, and rushing to know and control the outcome. But instead, like la luna before she renews into the new moon, I have turned further inward, retreating into quiet and stillness, observing any surfacing anxiety and fears, and allowing space for transformation. It's funny. For many years of my life, birthday blues have been a thing, but I never understood why, and felt quite abnormal and ashamed by it. But now I understand that my body, naturally like the moon, travels through this lunation cycle where forces of destruction, healing, and creation occur to reborn itself anew. 

Trusting the mystery of the unknown means relaxing into the dark moon seasons of my life, which can be as short as a few days and weeks or as long as a few years. It means surrendering to what arises. It means believing that the mystery, however it unfolds is going to take care of me because whatever happens happens exactly for me. It means letting go and allowing the darkness of what I cannot know, cannot see, and cannot yet feel, freely shed its light. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Dana

The Fear Series: I am too much to be loved

You failed at your marriage