What I Learned From 5 Days of Silence

"Silence is a fence around wisdom."

I thought when I left my job, a magical cloud of peace would just settle around me. But after my first two weeks of Year of Dana, I realized, I was completely addicted to the noise of social connectivity. My calendar was quite active and my presence was still plugged into the worlds I'm part of. While I enjoyed each one of those connections and experiences, I found myself wondering, "What's underneath my patterns, needs, and attachments with social connection?" Sure, I had lots of time alone doing quiet things but my mind felt so wired. Pure stillness was missing still for my heart and body. So, I decided to take 5 days of noble silence by myself, with the support of a perfectly flexible virtual retreat hosted by Insight Meditation Society and an incredible teaching team (Jozen Gibson, Sharon SalzbergJoseph Goldstein). There's so much to say about the whole experience, but for now, here are the 5 top takeaways from my 5 days of silence: 

1. Unexpectedly, my time in silence was deeply healing and nourishing. Going silent was a radical effort in self love and care. This time of silence was the most precious gift I have ever given to myself. I used this gift to come back to myself, to reveal again my resilience, courage, and capacity for boundless love. This personal healing work for my heart-mind-body is contributing goodness to my community of beloveds as well as the greater earth. 


2. Not having to respond or react to anyone but myself in any given moment was incredibly freeing. I saw my mind more clearly and could respond to it choicefully. I realized, our human minds can be so self brutalizing in the way we tell ourselves how to move throughout the day. This showed me that when I am caught up in the grind of life, there is a saddening absence of self-understanding and gentleness day-to-day. In my silence, I was able to deepen tenderness and patience with myself. 


3. It takes intention, motivation, time, energy, and humility to spend time cultivating my ability to face my pains, emotions, thoughts, fears, attachments, and old habit patterns. I am on a journey to free myself from living with a dominating egoic mind, a numb disconnected body, and a closed heart. 


4. My attachment to connecting with others simply comes from a deep longing to be loved and seen by those I care about. If I don't do this thing, this person won't love, value, or care about me. Well, what a pervasive story that is, isn't it? It couldn't be further from the truth, and if it is, it's probably someone I don't need to love or care about me. Here, I am leaning how to rest in the compassion, trust, and grace of my loved ones. 


5. I am not the person I thought I was all this time. I am a continuously unfolding mystery to myself, and that is both completely okay and completely terrifying at the same time. You think you know yourself until you sit down to see the contents of your own mind in silence! The growth comes from exploring my relationship with this mysterious self. 


For those interested in what the 5 days looked like, please see below! 

------------

5 Days of Noble Silence & Self-Retreating 

Gentle Guidelines 
  • Listen to my body and do whatever she needs
  • Practice mindful awareness and slow movement 
  • Be gentle with myself and my thoughts
Daily Activities
  • 2 hours of formal meditation and chanting
  • 2.5 hours of live virtual Buddhist teachings 
  • 2-3 hours being outside (walking, running, smelling roses) 
  • All other hours: yoga, reading, journaling, resting with my eyes closed, mindful eating, listening to birds, sleeping  
Paused Activities
  • Phone calls, video chats, text messages, emails 
  • All social media (with exception of yoga videos)
  • All streaming channels 
  • All other phone, online activity, and entertainment 
  • Listening to music  
  • Any "non-essential doing activities" (e.g. paying bills, chores)
Miscellaneous
  • I put my phone on airplane mode
  • I slept between 9-10pm and woke up between 5:00-6:30am
  • All my meals were prepared already so preparation and clean up were easy 
  • I had 3 emergency contacts who knew where to find me if needed  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Dana

The Fear Series: I am too much to be loved

You failed at your marriage