Manual for Making the World A Better Place

Sometimes, the Universe provides exactly what you need, when you need it.

Sitting at Timeless Cafe, I was browsing through five month's worth of dharma study notes and personal reflections, in search of spiritual strength and perspective. It was the first day of the brand new decade. That morning, I didn't wake up feeling brave or light as I had hoped. Instead I felt somber. For much of the holidays, I had been stuck in this sticky, somber place in my mind. Raw in my heart. Deeply vulnerable. I was tired of feeling the rawness. Tired of longing for love and connection. I watched the somberness with frustration. I observed my mind's resistance. Stay with it, I told myself quietly each time.

The Buddha's teachings prove to be powerful. As I combed through quotes, notes, and my own reflections from weeks of classes, I began to feel my mind loosen its grip. I started to feel lighter, freer, and more joyful. As if a cloud lifted from my body. I reached for my phone and sent a couple loves texts to beloveds wishing them happy new year, expressing my gratitude for their existence. Slowly, but within a few short moments, I returned home to my myself. My heart centered again. Re-grounded in the groundless nature of this very life. Unstuck.

This is the path, I realize. The path of unsticking myself, of learning how to be with myself in all of my emotions, in their most raw states. As I approach the discomfort of these feelings, staying loyal to the path, no matter how brutal it may be, through time, it will become more easeful and more effortless.

Sitting at my table, as my mind loosened itself, love and open heartedness poured into me. In this exact moment, an older gentleman approached me out of nowhere.

He pointed at my opened notebook sitting right on top my lap and asked a question.  Is that a manual for making the world a better place?

I looked at him with joyful surprise and responded. Yes... I think it is!

With genuine excitement, he responded. Good! We need more people thinking about these things!

Thank you, Universe.

🙏🌌

One View of the Universe


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Dana

The Fear Series: I am too much to be loved

You failed at your marriage